“Be bad, but at least don’t be a liar, a deceiver!” ― Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
“He will lie, sir, with such volubility, that you would think truth were a fool.” – WIlliam Shakespeare, in All’s Well That End’s Well
How many times can someone baldface lie to you before you’ve just plain had enough? Hmmm? I’m not just talking to Republicans and conservatives here; I’m talking to everyone, regardless of their political leanings.
Let’s just take a look at five promises made repeatedly by President Obama regarding Obamacare.
Promise #1: “If you like your current insurance plan, you can keep it. Period.”
Promise #2: “If you like your current doctor, you can keep that doctor.”
Promise #4: “The cost of this national healthcare program will be less than $1 trillion.”More at the link.
United Liberty reported back in February:
Earlier this week, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) noted that the estimated cost tag for ObamaCare was $1.165 trillion over the next 10 years, more than the original estimate of $945 billion.
Promise #5: “Obamacare would not cover illegal aliens.”
Not so, according to Mark Tapscott (via HotAir):
In what he called the “first myth” being spread by critics of his proposal for a government-run health care system, Obama said they are wrong in claiming illegal immigrants will be covered: “That is not true. Illegal immigrants would not be covered. That idea has not even been on the table.” Obama said.Well, Mr. President, that idea must have been tucked under a stack of background briefing papers over there in the corner of the table because the Congressional Research Service (CRS) says this about H.R. 3200, the Obamacare bill approved just before the recess by the House Energy and Commerce Committee chaired by Rep. Henry Waxman, D-CA:
“Under H.R. 3200, a ‘Health Insurance Exchange’ would begin operation in 2013 and would offer private plans alongside a public option…H.R. 3200 does not contain any restrictions on noncitzens—whether legally or illegally present, or in the United States temporarily or permanently—participating in the Exchange.”
In our non-Council category, the winner was Mark Steyn with ObamaCare’s Magical Thinkers, submitted by Joshuapundit. It’s Steyn’s take on the ObamaCare failure and its implications for America, written as only Mark Steyn can. Do read it.
Okay, here are this week’s full results. Only The Mellow Jihadi was unable to vote this week, but was not subject to the usual 2/3 vote penalty:
- *First place with 3 1/3 votes! – The Right Planet – Don’t Urinate Down My Back and Tell Me It’s Raining, Mr. President!
- Second place with 2 2/3 votes – Bookworm Room – The Horrible Racism And Cruelty Of Political Correctness
- Third place with 2 votes – Joshuapundit – 60 Minutes On Benghazi: “Yes, They Were Left To Die and You Were Lied To”
- Fourth place with 1 2/3 votes – The Noisy Room – Lights Out in America – the EMP Threat
- Fifth place with 1 1/3 votes – Nice Deb – Extortion: How Obama’s “Squeegee Man” Eric Holder Punishes Obama’s Political Enemies (Video)
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Mellow Jihadi – Happy Birthday Royal Marines, 349-years-old
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Battle of the South China Sea
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Simply Jews – Open Zion and Belgium State ukulele orchestra meet expectations
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – VA Right! – With Affordable Health Care Now a Reality, Let’s Stop Government Funding for Community Health Centers
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – Rhymes With Right – Nevada Pol Makes Dumb Comment To Explain Flawed View Of The Duty Of An Elected Official
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote – The Razor – Sending Legislators to the Unemployment Line
- *First place with 3 1/3 votes! – Mark Steyn – ObamaCare’s Magical Thinkers submitted by Joshuapundit
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – Doug Ross – OUTRAGE: Nearly 200 Officers Purged From U.S. Military to Ensure Ideological Purity submitted by The Watcher
- Second place *t* with 1 2/3 votes – The DiploMad 2.0 – The Media and Obama: Hitting The Disgust Quota submitted by The Right Planet
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Generation Y – The Prodigious Milligram submitted by Simply Jews
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Brett Stephens/WSJ – The unbearable lightness of Obama submitted by Bookworm Room
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes – Conservative Daily News – Obama Hates Black People submitted by The Political Commentator
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – War Is Boring – Dear Amnesty Internat’l – Do You Even Know How Drones Work? submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Wolf Howling – Obamacare: The Mother of All Market Distortions (Updated) submitted by The Razor
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Tyler Cowen/Marginal Revolution – What is the most likely path forward for the ACA exchanges? submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Urban Grounds – Democrats Then: “Hell no, we won’t delay Obamacare.” Democrats Now: “Yeah, that’s probably a good idea.” submitted by Rhymes With Right
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Market Ticker – How Badly Will ObamaCare Screw You? Answers Here! submitted by The Watcher
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Daniel Greenfield/FrontPage Mag – What’s Right about Ted Cruz & the Tea Party submitted by The Noisy Room
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote -John Fund/The Corner, NRO – Obama’s Valerie Jarrett: Often Whispered about, But Never Challenged submitted by Nice Deb